OK unfortunately I have never worn a costume that screams "street whore" or anything of exceptional ingenuity so I'm stuck doing this blog on something other than costumes.Although one year I did have a great costume as a bottle of Elmer's glue. I got an orange cone for my head and wore all white with a blue Elmer's sign on the front. But asides from that, nothing of significance, plus I have no picture of that to post.
So instead of writing about one of my costumes, I will talk about the rhetorical significance of consumes in general. Costumes are a way to express creativity, get attention, or be someone/something else for a night. Their rhetorical significance depends on the wearer. For someone who is trying to get attention, it's all about sticking out. However, there are different ways of wanting to stick out. It could be with color, sexuality, the size of the costume, or how crazy it is, or how elaborate. The consume fits the motives of the wearer.
Usually people trying to express creativity also get a lot of attention, but not because they are trying to get attention, but because their creativity can't be ignored. Here the motive is different but the result is the same, everyone has to take a look. These costume wearers decorate their bodies in order to express their inner thoughts.
Other people are trying to escape from their universe for a night. Halloween makes a great occasion to "get away from it all" so to speak and play role in a different body. They can imagine they are a different species or a different person or an inanimate object. Part of this can be trying to attract others by their costume to help them role play.
This is absolutely incredible
ReplyDelete