My brother was never really "normal". He's always been horribly socially awkward and shy towards strangers, but then never shuts up if you know him. In fact, one day I was out running with my cross country coach and he asked me if my brother was autistic. Although my brother has never been diagnosed with anything concrete, I've suspected him of quite a few diagnoses. Because of this, I had to tell my coach "no" which made the next 30 minutes of running a bit awkward for both of us. He felt embarrassed for asking.
My dad's side of the family has a history of both mental illness and extreme intelligence.My dad's mother is schizophrenic, my brother has shown many signs of OCD, and my dad has been accused by many of being Bipolar. On the other hand, my brother Brian taught himself multiplication at the age of four and was reading at a college level by the fifth grade, my dad got two full ride scholarship offers from both Cornell and Princeton and has a PhD in Chemical Physics. One of my dad's brothers went o college at age 14. Just based on the family history and his behavior thus far in life, I'm guessing he inherited the mental illness/intelligence gene from my dad.
Brian has a way of trying to be overly philosophical about EVERYTHING. He thinks things over to the point of exhaustion and always wants to know the reason behind everything. He's complex and hard to wrap your mind around.
One of his main faults is perfectionism. He stayed up every until 2 or 3 in the morning in high school and took all advanced classes. Among his achievements was getting an A+ in math 4X while getting an A in Euro and an A in his other two classes as well.
My brother also has a ridiculous record of athletic achievement. He made it into varsity for cross country and track, and got a personal record of 4:54 on his mile time. My family is really into biking, and as of right now his record for most miles biked in one sitting is 200. If I could describe my brother in a few words it might be "Over achieving" or "psycho," I haven't figured it out yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment