Thursday, December 6, 2012

Comments in Response to the Book Half the Sky

Currently I'm reading the book Half the Sky, and it is truly life changing. It discussed the varies challenges that women currently still face in today's world. I could never express everything I want to say about it in one talking session so I decided to vent about it on my blog.

I feel like "decent" women are screwed over by following societal norms almost as much as the prostitutes, but in different ways.  What is considered to be a "decent" woman in many societies is a women who keeps her virginity until she is married, only sleeps with her husband, doesn't take birth control, stays with her husband until one of them dies, and has a "normal" amount of children. Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world that would be AMAZING and I certainly wished everyone lived like that, however, in the real world that utopia is almost unattainable considering how desperate for sex most men are. By the time a human male is 18 he has around 2 gallons of testosterone running through his brain every 24 hours. This makes things difficult for "decent" women trying to stay "decent."

I feel like women are put between a rock and a hard place. The stereotyped "decent" woman who cant go on birth control and stays faithful to her husband either has to give into his every sexual whim and constantly be having babies, or she has to withhold sex from him which makes it a lot more likely for him to go have an affair to fulfill his sexual desires. So either she has to be putting tons of stress on her body by giving birth every year or she has to put up with an adulterous husband who may give her STD's. I feel the best solution to this problem is to allow birth control to more married women. This may also help lower the divorce rate since husbands will feel less inclined to cheat to meet their "sex quota."

No comments:

Post a Comment