Sunday, December 2, 2012

Thanksgiving Blog

OK just a heads up, I've been having MASSIVE computer issues at my house so that's why this is a bit late... sorry about that. Our motem wasn't working so we replaced it, but it still didn't work, so then we yelled at Century Link and it started working again. Apparently it was working at only 33% capacity. Then we found out that the new motem doesn't work with my mom's work computer because we need one that is compatible with her company's security system. She works at United Healthcare so her computer has special software on it to make sure that patient information isn't leaked. Anyway, Century link somehow found a way to make it work with my mom's computer but now it's back to 33% capacity and that's being split between three different computers, so long story short the internet isn't doing so hot at my house right now. ug.

My Thanksgiving was very low key and quiet. My parents both hate their in-laws and their own parents so my brother and I have never been allowed to meet any of them. The only relative that we keep in contact with is my Great Aunt Marie, and she lives in Missouri. My mom called her and they talked for about an hour but that was the only communication there was all day with any extended family. The rest of the extended family is a bit screwed up. My uncle Jim is a convicted felon because he shot a church and an elementary school after getting pissed off at his ex-wife. My uncle John went to college at age 14 but he's not great socially and he's currently in his 3rd marriage with two new twin boys at the age of 60. I think he's nuts. My mom's only brother hasn't had any contact with her in over 15 years, so he may be dead, or in prison, or in Thailand, we don't know.

Because we have no contact with any relatives except my Great Aunt Marie, we always stay at home and just have dinner together. We usually eat at around 3 or 4 but this year we decided to eat at noon because my dad started to thaw the Turkey too soon. Our Thanksgiving was very casual this year. We usually sit around the dining table and act formal, but this year we all sat around the TV watching the James Bond Marathon on Spike while chowing on turkey. We turned off the TV to say grace, then all said three things we were thankful for, and then ate turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce and cauliflower. We put the food on our coffee table on the living room  and all four of us, (mom, dad, me and my older brother Brian) sat on the floor around the coffee table and watched Tomorrow Never Dies while eating and discussing which Bond actor is the best. We all agreed that its Sean Connery. My cat ended up with about half the turkey in her stomach because she's a pig and knows that if she comes up and begs on my lap that I can't resist feeding her until she's eaten AT LEAST half her body weight in table scraps. Some days I wonder how she hasn't suffered a massive coronary yet. I swear my cat has radar that allows her to detect whenever I'm eating.

After about a half hour we were all full so I got up and started making the pies for dessert. I made apple pie and Kentucky burben chocolate chip pecan pie. Kentucky burben chocolate chip pecan pie is pretty much just pecan pie with two tablespoons of burben and a cup of chocolate chips added. The alcohol burns off and leaves a nice smoky flavor that goes great with the nuts and chocolate.

We continued to watch James Bond the rest of the day. I got bored with the blood and fornication  after the first 5 hours so I made the mistake of trying to change it. Both my parents verbally tackled me for changing the channel. So we went back to Bond. After a while I got bored so I started texting my boyfriend, but he had to go after an hour because he actually knows his relatives and he had to go eat since he was eating later than me. Then I took a nap and ate pie, and that was pretty much the end of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment