Sunday, December 2, 2012

Process Analysis


 The images I chose for my visual essay are all illustrations of the horrific abuse that Islamic women have to suffer in their daily lives.Extremist Islam as practiced in Iran and other Muslim theocracies not only allows violence toward women but condones and supports it. Islam is one of the only religious on earth which openly supports violence and wife beating. The holy book of Islam, the Koran, orders husbands to beat their wives if their wife is being insubordinate to him:

Qur'an (4:34) - "Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."

Qur'an (38:44) - "And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with it, and do not break your oath..."  Allah telling Job to beat his wife.


 The images I chose bullet pointed the worst forms of abuse that occur in Muslim countries.They include wife beating, acid burnings, genital mutilation, oppressive dress codes and forced polygamy. Unfortunately, a popular "punishment" for Muslim women who reject a man is to have toxic acid thrown on her face to mutilate her and destroy her flesh. Muslim men are allowed up to four wives, all of which he is aloud to beat whenever he likes. In certain areas young girls have their genital mutilated in order to discourage sexual deviance and to "protect" men from seduction. Because of these autocracies, I picked photos that boldly showed the abuse in the clearest way possible.

The image real starts with a picture of the dress code women are forced to adhere to, and then gos into the more violent pictures, and the ends with a picture of women holding up an anti-polygamy sign. I did this because it makes the viewer identify the oppressive dress code with physical abuse, since the two usually come together in a pair. I ended the real with the anti-polygamy sign to show one facet of the solution. If women are not seen as dispensable easily replaceable, they will be valued more and be treated with more respect.

The music I picked is a song of hope and staying strong through hard times and pain. I thought this was especially fitting considering an Islamic women's life is very violent and painful under the current conditions. I didn't want a song that would be to light or up beat since violence towards women is a serious problem. However, I also didn't want a song too sad as to sound cheesy. "Stand in the Rain" was a perfect combination of  hope while including the feeling of trial and pain these victims face.

To see the visual essay, click below:

http://animoto.com/play/a3gdaobLuIirB6blOFCb0Q

No comments:

Post a Comment